1. YouTube (or any video site really). “Hmm…is there an 80s hair metal mix on here I can listen to while I work?” “Oohh…episodes of Degrassi Junior High, I totally remember this storyline from 20 years ago!”
2. Chat (I count this since I have to be online to do it). One of my friends and I chat all day long about everything from the astronomical price of parking in D.C. to the HUH that is Justin Bieber launching a perfume.
3. Email. If there were cash prizes for how many times I checked my email, I would be the proud owner of a private island.
4. Wikipedia – when I have a question, I think, “To the Wikipedia!” I am a huge nerd. I’m also a news junkie, so I get distracted by headlines a lot. And shiny things.
5. Any sites that have something resembling a quiz or trivia, like Sporcle or Mental Floss. Heck yeah, I can name the cast of Saved by the Bell! And if the site has a word game, I will inevitably play it.
So those are my five distractions – check out Paper Hangover and play along!